The recipe we have created is very simple to ensure that even the thermophobe can get it right at the first attempt. Before getting to the recipe, here are a few mental notes to take on cooking with cannabis.
What Is Vegan CBD Butter?
Let’s start with CBD butter.
This is a CBD infused cooking butter that forms the base for infusing different bakes, meals, and beverages with cannabis. When you hear of cannabis pizza or cannabis cookies in most instances the recipe incorporates the use of a CBD butter or CBD oil.
So to vegan, this is when the CBD butter recipe uses a vegan alternative for the butter aka plant derived butter. This caters to the needs of vegans who love cannabis. If you love cooking your meals from scratch, this vegan CBD butter recipe will help you pull off amazing infused culinary projects.
As much as this recipe is vegan and does not contain trans- fats or hydrogenated oils it is still high in fat and calories and therefore moderation should be exercised.
What Are The Uses of Vegan CBD butter?
This butter is versatile and can be used to infuse different recipes. Since it contains CBD, it has potential benefits as a therapeutic compound. CBD is a phytocannabinoid that interact with endocannabinoid receptors known as CB2 receptors which are located on immune cells and other parts of the body. Even though it binds loosely to these receptors it is able to influence the endocannabinoid system (ECS) in a number of ways. The ECS is responsible for modulating vital functions in the body such as the following:
- Hormonal function
- Nervous function
Studies on the ECS are still underway and so is the mechanism through which CBD affects this diverse system.
Consuming vegan CBD butter is bound to set your endocannabinoid system ablaze in different ways. Some users have reported feeling very relaxed and un- anxious after infusing their meals with this cannabinoid butter.
This CBD butter has a texture and consistency that is similar to regular butter. It can be used on the following:
- Breakfast toast
- Baked potatoes
- English muffins
- Butter scones
- Vegan cookies
Don’t stop there, mix some of this butter with your favorite essential oil and apply on your skin; watch it glow.
Which Butter Should You Use For Vegan CBD Butter?
This being a vegan recipe, your options are limited to a plant- based source of butter. Among the best options that will give you the best results in terms of consistency and flavor is coconut oil. Avocado oil, olive oil, and rice- bran are other suitable alternatives. At the end of the day, go for one that is within your reach and offers maximum nutritional benefits.
How to Make Vegan CBD-Infused Butter
The first step is to make the plant based butter to use for this recipe. Once the vegan butter is ready we will go ahead to decarboxylate CBD– rich buds and then mix them with our butter. Then we should be good to go.
Plant Based Butter Recipe
What you will need
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- A pinch of turmeric for color
- 1 cup coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, or canola oil
- Start by mixing all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix with a spatula
- Add the milk and blend on medium speed for five minutes
- Add your choice of oil and blend again until well mixed, light, and airy
- Pour in a suitable storage container and put in the refrigerator to set
When using coconut oil it is important to first refine or deodorize it to prevent it from having a strong coconut flavor.
Now you are ready to infuse your vegan butter with CBD. As mentioned earlier, the first step is to decarboxylate the buds.
Which Strains Are Good For Vegan CBD Butter?
What you will need
- 2 grams CBD flower
- 1 cups vegan butter
- Decarboxylate the cannabis flower as described below.
- Mix the decarboxylated cannabis and the vegan butter in a mason jar
- Put the Mason jar in a water bath ensuring that the water level does not exceed the top of the jar and lid.
- Heat for 3-4 hours
- Remove from the water bath and allow to cool
- Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth
- Store the butter in a glass container in the refrigerator. It should keep for 3-4 months
Now you have your vegan CBD butter ready! You can serve your guests the best infused treats with ease.
Before wrapping it up, here is a how to decarboxylate cannabis.
How To Decarboxylate Cannabis The Right Way
Decarboxylation involves exposing the marijuana buds to high temperatures to allow the acidic molecules to break down into their active forms. For example, THCA is broken down into its active and psychotropic component THC. The same goes for other inactive phytocannabinoids such as CBDA and CBGA.
- Pre heat the oven to about 220 degrees F, at this temperature THCA starts to decarboxylate. CBDA will decarboxylate at about 240 degrees F.
- Using a hand grinder, grind the cannabis buds into particles that are fine but not powdery
- Put the ground buds on an oven tray and put the tray in the heated oven
- Allow to heat for 30-45 minutes turning occasionally to allow the heat to spread evenly through the buds
- Remove the tray from the oven when the buds are evenly browned but not scorched
Is Vegan CBD Butter Safe?
Generally, CBD is safe for human (as well as animal) consumption even when used in high doses. In one study CBD was administered daily in doses as high as 1,500mg per day. This is a very high dose considering that the recommended starting dose for CBD is about 20mg per day. Even at this high dose and regular use there was no witnessed signs of toxicity.
Where issues of safety are raised it probably has to do with CBD interacting adversely with other drugs that the user may be taking. This mostly is a group of drugs that are metabolized (broken down) through a pathway that is known as the cytochrome p450 pathways. CBD may increase the serum concentrations of these drugs which include:
If you are on any medication it is important to first consul with your healthcare provider before you start on any CBD products. Other issues of safety may include contamination of ingredients or consumption of vegan CBD butter that has gone stale.
Ultimately, start with the lowest possible dose of CBD and adjust upwards to a level that you feel comfortable with. Should you experience any adverse effects, stop immediately and be in touch with your health care provider.